I had this old tablecloth from a donation that I loved, but it didn't fit our table at all. So, I decided to cut it up and make into placemats. I found a small piece of patterned fabric in my stash and used it for the backside (I had just enough for all 8 place mats). Originally I wanted to bind the place mats with burgundy bias tape, but I couldn't find any here, so in the end, I sewed front and back together with a piece of white cotton in between, turned and top-stitched the mats.
There was just enough of the checkered fabric to make a table runner. I just made a narrow hem and attached a cotton trim from my stash. I quite like the results.