wool fabric remnants from a relative. I had big plans with them, but then came a pregnancy, building our house, moving twice, having a baby, etc. And they stayed stacked up in banana boxes in the deepest corner of a closet. Recently my mom asked about them and so I had to pull them out. She picked some pieces to make a sweater and a vest. When my older girls saw the fabric, it sparked their imagination and Tabita picked some pieces and sketched out an idea:
We decided to reduce the width of the strips and for the second fitting I cut a small neckline to assure betting fitting. I sewed the pieces together with regular yard on my old machine. I had a hard time deciding what to do with the seams, since I could leave them pressed open, so I just trimmed them and zig-zagged them. It's not the best solution, because it's pretty stiff and bulky, but I don't know what else to do. The neckline, armholes and hem are done with a double needle and wooly nylon in the bobbin. We also made arm armwarmer to match and she already wore them to school. The only downside is that it's really heavy warm wool, so it's almost too hot to be in it inside. Also that all it needs to be pieced and I do not know how to do it better without a serger. But we'll still try to use the rest of the fabric somehow.