The shirt was a present for me, but first I do not look good in horizontal stripes and second the fit was horrible. But the shirt was too big on the girls. So, I took our trusty Jalie 2440 pattern that we had modified to a regular shirt (from a crossover top), cut the shirt apart, except at the shoulders, laid the pattern on top of back and front and cut the shirt to fit. I ended up modifying the shoulders also a bit, but I didn't touch the neckline.
I had to take off the patch on the bottom of the shirt, but in the process I made a hole in the shirt. So, after I finished the shirt, I stitched the patch over the hole (after the patched it up by hand underneath) and the situation is rescued.
The skirt was an old too big (also too long in my daughter's opinion) pleated skirt that we took apart two years ago, but it remained in the "to-do" pile all this time. Finally I refashioned it for my daughter. We removed the waistband, shortened it, and took it in on the side-seams. I put in a new zipper (the old one was broken) and finished the waist without a waistband. Since this skirt originally had a lapped side-zipper, I decided to it the same way. But I really wanted to try the lapped zipper technique on Fashion Incubator , which helps to sew in the facing (or in my case the lining) before the waistline and results in a much nicer placement of the same on the inside. It was a bit tricky to figure it out, but in the end it came out great. The only thing I should do next time is not sew the lining seam below the zipper until the end. It was a bit hard to manouver around with the seam sewn. Here is the detail of the lapped zipper - outside and inside:
And here is the finished outfit, which Miriam already proudly wore to school: